SX200 Restoration Project

Disassembly

I did a little research on the internet and found a good restoration guide on the UK Lambretta Club website. I bought a big bag of zip lock bags and a clear storage box to hold all the parts and got started tearing the bike down. The restoration guide would be the basis for my reassembly and keeping the parts in numbered bags made preparing for each step easy.

I have to admit, this is the fun part of the project where you find lots of secrets, clues, and war wounds. As I started taking parts off the bike I found lots more clues as to the life this bike led before I owned it. The bent frame rib was troubling as I hoped the entire frame wasn't bent. I found an odd red and yellow checkered sticker around the top of the fork tube which had the consistancy of masking tape. I heard these were only added to EU bikes? I still need to get confirmation about this but it was a nice clue. It looks like someone used a paint brush to paint the rear end of the bike as I could clearly see brush stroke marks. The frame had an odd threaded hole at the bottom of the fork tube where it was welded to the frame but no matching hole in the leg shields. The air box was pretty rusty inside, and almost every part I took off the bike had some sort of dent, deep scratch, or rusty spot. This poor bike had been beat up and used.

Disassembling my Lambretta
I still own that wrench after all these years.

Disassembling my Lambretta
Rusty air box. They have so many nooks and crannies that acid dipping seemed to be the best solution.

lambretta parts in bags
Look at all my parts organized in numbered bags.

Lambretta fork tube sticker
My odd checkered sitcker. Know anything about this? Email us.

As I took the parts off the bike I put them in numbered bags that matched the steps found in the LCGB restoration guide and dropped them into the plastic storage bin. In hindsight this was pretty useful as I was able to find parts quickly using the restoration guide. I could go through each step of the restoration 1 bag at a time to make sure I had all the parts, hardware, gaskets, and other bits needed to re-assemble the bike. Once the disassembly was complete I went through each bag to make sure every part associated with that step in the process was perfect. This turned into quite a lengthy process as each part had some sort of issue I had to resolve.

Next: Checking Your Parts

Restoration Steps